What is pelvic organ prolapse?
What is it?
It’s a condition in which the pelvic organs (bladder, intestines, uterus) protrude through the vagina.
Because of an elongation or a rupture of the collagen fibers that keep these organs in position and/or an abnormal functioning of the pelvic floor muscles.
Which are the symptoms?
- Heavy feeling in the pelvic region
- Foreign body sensation in the vagina
- Bulging sensation outside of the vagina
- Pelvic pain
- Sexual discomfort
- Changes in urination (weak or strained flow of urine, incomplete emptying of bladder, urinary tract infection, stress incontinence, urge incontinence, overactive bladder)
- Change in bowel habits (constipation, need to strain to have bowel movements)
With prolapse, the most important step before deciding on any kind of surgery, is the exhaustive analysis of the condition.
Natalia Gennaro, expert gynecologist, specialised in laparoscopic surgery and the pelvic floor.